Brookings Institute major grant
The Norwegian Foreign Ministry has signed a contract for 2013-2015 with the Washington-based Brookings Institution worth NOK 13.5 million over the three-year period.
According to new rules for such support, 20 per cent of the grant is to be spent on cooperation with Norwegian partners, in particular the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) and the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO). (See Page Three)
Here are some of the key topics that Brookings will focus on:
• Iran’s role in the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, compliance with the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty;
• Policy and ethics related to drones and cyber warfare;
• Politics, energy and security in the Eastern Mediterranean region - Turkey, Israel, Egypt and Lebanon;
• Tracking counter-insurgency activities in Afghanistan and Pakistan;
• Security in Maritime Asia - Korean Peninsula, China-Taiwan;
• High North and influence of China, India, Japan on the Arctic Council - expanding Chinese mining interests;
• Reform of the humanitarian system and human rights.